Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reflections on the 2nd week at Southern

The second week of school came upon us soon! I heard that Collegedale was going to get six inches of snow but had a hard time believing that much snow would come. Sunday night I looked out my window next to my bed and there was not a drop of snow on the ground. Then at 6:30 in the morning I woke up and our backyard was transformed into a winter wonderland. 8 inches of snow! My roommates and I were so excited! Debbie ran out to show everyone that there really was a lot of snow. Kristi made pumpkin cookies and and then in the afternoon we went sledding with Suzanne. The first time I went down with Becca we fell off. It was so funny! More friends joined us and we made games and ate cookies at our apartment after it was over. It was a blast to go sledding! I hadn't gone since elementary school. It was wonderful to have Monday and Tuesday off from school.


It was still an adjustment second week to get used to my classes, and know what I was doing. I'm really enjoying all of my classes and am taking my core Social work classes. On Thursday, our department had a convocation. The Seniors talked about their internships and practicums they are doing. It was inspiring, motivating, and left me excited about my career! It's a good thing to learn and be educated about social welfare policies, social theories, interviewing skills, and assessments in our classes. It's another thing to put it into practice and see how it is impacting others. The seniors in their agencies and hospitals are making a huge difference in the lives of people they are caring for. Connecting people to resources, empowering them, and helping them to have better lives.
It's hard to believe that I'm aleady in my second semester of my Junior year of college. It really doesn't seem that long ago I was a Senior anxious and excited to graduate from academy and next year it I'll be a Senior again!

Here a couple of pictures from our snow days:



Suzanne and Becca getting ready to sled down the hill.


A sled train of friends

No comments: